Kawartha Land Trust (KLT): 2022 Strategic Planning Consultation
Help guide the next eight years of KLT’s conservation work in the Kawarthas.
Kawartha Land Trust (KLT) is currently working on its next strategic plan, which will help define KLT’s focus for the next eight years.
In our 20-year history, KLT and its donors, volunteers, and supporters have protected 4,800 acres of natural spaces in the Kawarthas and managed the land through land stewardship best practices to sustain biodiversity. In addition to protecting habitat, our properties also sequester enough carbon annually to offset the emissions of 1,500 cars and provide experiential opportunities for thousands of people each year who are looking to connect with nature via our 39 kilometres of hiking trails.
However, there is still work to be done. Unfortunately, whole landscapes and groups of species remain under threat in our region. Through this strategic planning process, we will define KLT’s next steps, so that we may continue to increase our conservation impact and play a leading role in stewarding a healthy future in the Kawarthas for all.
How You Can Help
We are seeking KLT volunteers, donors, supporters, and community stakeholders to participate in our strategic planning working groups to imagine what’s possible and suggest possible paths forward.
KLT plans to focus its work on seven strategic approaches, which are represented by the following strategic planning working groups:
- Connected Landscapes Working Group
- Habitat & Species Stewardship Working Group
- Nature-Based Climate Solutions Working Group
- Integrated Landscape Management Working Group
- Indigenous Connection Working Group
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Working Group (updated May 13, 2022)
- Nature Access Working Group
For additional information on each working group, click on the name and review the PDF. For information on our strategic planning consultation process, read our overview (PDF).
If you are interested in participating in one or more of KLT’s strategic planning working groups, please review the meeting schedule to ensure you are available to attend most meetings:
- Connected Landscapes: May 17, 2:30-4:30; May 31, 9:30-11:30; June 14, 7:00-9:00 p.m.
- Habitat & Species Stewardship: May 18, 2:30-4:30; June 1, 9:30-11:30; June 15, 7:00-9:00 p.m.
- Nature-based Climate Solutions: May 19, 2:30-4:30; June 2, 9:30-11:30; June 16, 7:00-9:00 p.m.
- Integrated Landscape Management: May 20, 2:30-4:30; June 3, 9:30-11:30; Jun 17, 7:00-9:00 p.m.
- Indigenous Connection: May 24, 2:30-4:30; June 7, 9:30-11:30; June 21, 7:00-9:00 p.m.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: May 25, 2:30-4:30; June 8, 9:30-11:30; June 22, 7:00-9:00 p.m.
- Nature Access: May 26 2:30-4:30; June 9, 9:30 – 11:30; June 23, 7:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Each working group will meet regularly over the next few weeks and months to develop strategies and tactics to support their group’s strategic approach (i.e., DEI, nature access, etc.).
A delegate from each group, as elected by each group’s members, will provide updates and reports to the central KLT strategic planning committee.
Confirmed participants may attend the working group meetings at KLT’s board room at The Mount in Peterborough or by Zoom.
Sign Up to Participate
We can’t do it without you! To sign up for one or more of our strategic planning working groups, please email Alissa Paxton at firstname.lastname@example.org (include the name of the working group(s) you would like to be a part of in the subject line) by May 12, 2022.
If you have any questions regarding the working groups or KLT’s strategic planning process, please email John Kintare, Executive Director, at email@example.com.